I pride myself on my ability to get across complex information in accessible ways and to convey the subtleties of an issue or situation.
I have extensive experience of interviewing people about their personal stories, including children and very vulnerable client groups, where great sensitivity is required.
- Community Care – for several years I wrote their Ideas in Practice slot, co-authored the Risk Factor slot and also wrote many features on different aspects of social work and social care, and developments in policy, training and legislation.
- Guardian Society - I wrote a number of front-page and main features including articles on sexual health education for young people with learning difficulties, the barriers affecting gay and lesbian carers, and new legislation for care leavers
- Children and Young People Now – I wrote about a range of contemporary policy topics and innovative projects e.g.youth work with LGBT young people and engaging young people in tackling racism in Northern Ireland
- Nursery World – I covered a very wide range of topics, such as the impact of depression on young children, child abductions, and using IT with young minds. I also wrote marketing copy for supplements and brochures for the magazine’s exhibitions.
- Be My Parent – For this recruitment magazine for adoptive parents I told the personal stories of many adopters and adopted people, and wrote features to share ideas, good practices and policy changes.
- Red Magazine – for this woman’s magazine I wrote features about women who foster and an article about the death of my best friend
- Muscular Dystrophy Magazine – I wrote in-depth science features about topics such as gene therapy as well as families’ personal stories about living with MD.