I have more than 20 years experience as a media and communications consultant, specialising in work with the not for profit and statutory sector. For examples of the work I have done please see the consultancy work page.
How I can help you
Drawing on my extensive experience of devising and running campaign, I can help you to:
- Plan and implement your media campaign or communications project
- Conceptualise the themes and messages
- Find practical, affordable ways to translate ideas into practice
- Work with the sensitivities of your client groups and within your budgets
- Look at new ways to put across old messages e.g. using social networking
I can offer a mixture of the following:
- Work with you to devise your campaign
- Help you to create an affordable and practical strategy
- Manage all aspects of internal and external communications
- Commission and manage external or internal staff/agencies providing services eg advertising, design, printing, social networking
- Manage, train and support your staff to deliver the campaign
- Train your spokespeople for media interviews
- Act as a spokesperson for your campaign, where applicable
- Offer facilitation to help your team identify their own priorities and workable strategies
- Hands-on work to deliver aspects of the campaign eg writing reports, press releases, briefing sheets
- Crisis media management support – for unforeseen situations
- Help you to evaluate the successes and challenges of a campaign
Having formerly worked as both an in-house press relations manager and a journalist I bring together a detailed knowledge of the voluntary and statutory sector and its sometimes uneasy relationship with the media.
I have also been a media spokesperson for a number of my employers and clients, and have taken part in more than a hundred radio and television interviews at both national, regional and local levels.
Awareness of concerns
I have many years experience of knowing what journalists want but also a very sound understanding of the concerns service providers have of ‘exposing’ their service users to media attention. On many occasions I have successfully managed these needs to make sure that the aims of both sides can be met, and that both service users and the organisations that support them, feel empowered by the experience.
What people are saying about my consultancy
Emma Whittaker, The Dumping Ground (2) at BBC
Jenny Molloy, Passionate Care Experienced published Author of Hackney Child and Guest Lecturer at University of Huddersfield
Katrina Phillips. Chief Executive, Child Accident Prevention Trust
Felicity Collier, Chair Standards and Ethics Board BASW
Susanna Cheal OBE, Independent Consultant
Julia Priestley Development Officer British Thyroid Foundation